The ATA social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) is provided by the ALD of the American Translators Association (ATA) as a communication tool.
"Closed" social media groups are a division members-only privilege and benefit. Individual members can join a closed group. An organizational member's contact person can also join a closed group.
By joining and using this (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) social media site, you agree that you have read and will adhere to the policies established below. Both ATA and the ALD reserve the right to suspend or terminate access to this site by any user who does not abide by these policies.
Legal Rules without Exception
1. The ATA/ALD (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) social media sites are online exchange forums subject to the same anti-trust rules that apply to all Association meetings and all communications in Association media. Therefore,
· Do not post material that includes discussions of rates, and material that includes specific rates, fees, or changes therein, as specified in ATA Antitrust Compliance Policy (see http://www.atanet.org/governance/governance_policystatement.php).
· Do not post material that interferes with the ability of others to do business, including the disclosure of information developed solely for a company’s or an individual’s conduct of business (trade secrets) or any suggestion, exhortation, or other statement about refraining or refusing to do business with any person or entity.
2. When posting on the ATA/ ALD social media sites such as (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.), you must bear in mind that you are responsible and can be held legally liable for what you write. Therefore,
· Do not post any racist, sexist, discriminatory, defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, embarrassing, insulting, or illegal material.
· Do not post material that infringes on any person or entity’s names, copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property; to be safe, assume that all material is copyrighted unless the author has explicitly stated that the material is in the public domain.
· You agree and represent that you have the right to use and submit any information, content, or material to the social media site and also grant any other social media site participant the right to copy, reproduce, or otherwise use any such information, content, or material that you post.
· Do not make accusations against any individual or a legal entity. Any accusation may be considered defamatory even if it is based on sources that are generally reliable or credible. It is preferable to list only facts you can document.
· Request information about specific individuals or entities to be provided to you in private. If you have such information, provide it to the requestor in private.
Social Media Site Etiquette
· This is site is dedicated to the discussion of issues related to translating and interpreting in Arabic.
· The discussion is about issues, not personalities. Although views may differ, all site users are expected to maintain a respectful and polite tone at all times.
· Do not challenge or attack others. Postings on the ALD social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) are meant to stimulate conversation and increase knowledge, not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you expect to be heard.
· Do not post sales or promotional messages.
· Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
· Check your facts. Avoid stating your opinions as facts.
· Do not use all caps. All caps are perceived as shouting.
· If you see an item on the web that you think might be of interest to ALD members, forward the URL and a short summary (50 or fewer words), rather than the entire item or article, to the site.
· Use the ALD Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc sites only if you wish to simultaneously reach all users to the ALD.
ATA, its officers, directors, and employees, and the moderators of this social media site, assume no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site. By subscribing to the (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) social media site, you, the user, agree to release, hold harmless, indemnify, and defend the ATA, its officers, directors, and employees, and the social media site moderators, from any and all legal or civil actions, claims, damages, costs, or penalties arising from messages you have posted on the social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.)
ATA or ALD does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and, as a rule, does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any posting that violates these policies is brought to ATA’s or the moderators’ attention, appropriate action will be taken, which may include a warning, temporary suspension, or permanent removal from the site.
American Translators Association (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc.) Social Media Policy and Etiquette